I took part in Ludum Dare 37 “One Room”. I’d just recently received my oculus touch controllers, so thought I’d give VR development a whirl. I created a simple VR game based on the short story “Library of Babel” by Luis Borges.
In theory, it features 2,147,483,647 books spread out across a huge network of hexagonal rooms, although in practice I think the generation is probably off in some way. The effect works well enough for my liking though, an near-infinite library of gibberish which potentially contains works of some meaning, squirrelled away on a non-descript shelf somewhere.
Being a VR project with specialist controllers, it’s one of the first times I’ve created a game jam project with the full expectation that probably, nobody will ever play it. So I made a quick youtube trailer:
There are a couple of other library of babel projects up on itch.io, and there is a much more rigorous interpretation of the idea on the web. But adding VR does add something to it, I think. You’re able to pick books off the shelf, throw them around, and tear them in half. There is something I like about spending a few minutes trashing a room, knowing that you’ve really made no serious impact in that vast library. Also due to hardware constraints, it all gets cleared up when you leave the room anyway 🙂
I made a prototype for a neolithic revolution simulator, during Ludum Dare 36 (Ancient Technology).
The Neolithic Revolution or Neolithic Demographic Transition, sometimes called the Agricultural Revolution, was the wide-scale transition of many human cultures from a lifestyle of hunting and gathering to one of agriculture and settlement, allowing the ability to handle an increasingly larger population
I used Grids Pro to quickly get a hex-based map and coordinates system up and running in Unity.
I put together a very, very simple game in unity, and released it on the google play store. I have huge piles of unfinished prototypes sitting around on my pc. My aim with SCARP was to make the simplest game I could think of, in order to focus on actually finishing and shipping a game.
A surprising amount of time and effort goes into polishing a game up to the point at which it can be released. Even things like preparing text and images for the app store page (on which I did a very barebones job), and correctly signing release builds can take a lot of unexpected effort.
Ludum Dare run an annual “October Challenge” in which participants attempt to make a $1 by releasing a game. Partly to get people up to speed with how you can make money with your games, but also I guess to get people used to the idea of giving their games a certain level of financial value. I wanted to do something similar, so I added interstitial ads provided by Chartboost (Mainly because it was incredibly easy to do, in Unity).
I’ll hopefully have time to work on this one a little more in the coming weeks, as I had a few more ideas I wanted to try out.
I always used to find it too hard to settle on a name for any of my games, so now I just rely on Wikipedia’s random article feature. This time it gave me Tokelau, a pacific island, which inspired one of the games best features, the wave effect!